20 January 2008

(Depending on the street.)

Greetings Noise Pollution Readers,

(Trying to make the title catch on.) Where have we left off? I inundated you with rambling in the last post about the events leading up the brushing off of 2007. We've had three weeks of 2008, now, and I think it will shape up okay. While I'll admit it was a bit rough coming back after such a great holiday, I'm ready to settle into London for a bit. I'd put off making new years resolutions, but I think it's time to start setting up camp. I'll be moving in two weeks, either into the BUNAC hostel or a new flat, and I'm determined to use the move as an opportunity to put myself in a positive social situation. Being home reminded me just how great my friends are, and it's time to find that feeling here.

Things I'm looking forward to in 2008: holidays. Easy. I'm happiest when I'm traveling, and who wouldn't be? My trip to my "home country" in March while my work permit is processed will coincide with BU's spring break, and I'm hoping to take advantage of this. And I'm pushing for a beach. David is coming to visit in February, and we're going to drop in on Colleen in Amsterdam. Another BUNACer I've recently met is interested in going scuba diving in Egypt in April. A friend from BU will be spending part of August in Greece with his family, and my Aunt Kerry and Uncle Bill wants me to either come to Munich again or take a weekend trip with them. I'd like to visit Bali, Lisbon (Portugal), Morocco, Copenhagen (Denmark) and Manchester (England). And I still need to see the Northern Lights. Good thing I get four weeks vacation this year, but too bad I don't have much cash flow (well, it flows right out, not in). So we shall see.

Went out in Hoxton last night with a friend from high school, her college friends, three BUNACers, my French housemate and his girlfriend, and my Irish housemate. It was a cultural recipe: equal parts west, midwest and east America + France and Ireland representatives + lots of alcohol + some drama and a lot of dancing. If only Bill Bryson were there to watch, interpret and explain. Needless to say, we had a funny time rehashing the night, noting the cultural cross-overs, and attempting to evaluate the differences. And while I won't make a wild promise that I'll never mix alcohols again (wine, cider and tequila), I will say I'm done taking unnecessary tequila shots in the late hours of the evening. It leads to ridiculous statements on my part like, "Liz, we went to high school together!" Turns out - she knew this already.

Ordered a new play on Caleb's insistence, and am looking forward to reading "Three Days of Rain" by Richard Greenberg. I'm also looking forward to reading all the mail that BUNAC has forwarded to me, which is being held at my neighbor's flat. Maybe this is common in some cities in the States and I just don't know about it. But when the delivery guy couldn't deliver my parcel, the neighbor took it in. I haven't even met the neighbor. And it's nice, I guess, if you do know you're neighbors. But I haven't been home at a decent hour to go ask for it. I dont know. I find it strange. Speaking of parcels, Liz showed me a website called americansoda.co.uk, where you can order American grocery items in Britain. HELLO Aunt Jemima! Ordered some pancake mix, syrup and Jiffy cornbread mix. Should arrive tomorrow. I put on the delivery instructions to leave it with my neighbor if no one is home. Gonna test this out.

Last thing. I was on the bus to work the other day, and the 205 was particularly crowded. I found a seat upstairs in the first row, next to the window (it really does feel like you're driving the bus, particularly if you're an American sitting on the left side!). I was sitting next to a guy who city-type Londoners would call "the Queen's English." Like, posh,proper, poppy English. It's raining, as usual, the weather sucks. There is more traffic than usual. The bus swings around a corner and pulls up within millimeters of the bus in front of us. The man turns to me, and I'm thinking he's going to comment on this because, as front seat drivers, it looked like we were about to crash. Instead, he says in his posh, deliberate accent, "Excuse me. Would you mind turning your music down please?" I was taken aback. "Oh, yeah, of course." But really thinking, "What? First of all, no one in London ever talks to anyone else, and second of all, it's Jimi Hendrix! And third, it wasn't really that loud to begin with." I did turn it down, though, and I was mindful of making sure I didn't turn it back up, because I kept doing it automatically as each song changed. Really altered my mood for the morning, which then frustrated me because this small, non-event shouldn't have gotten to me so much. But I don't have the answer for why it did.

OK, I'm off to go watch a movie. The plan is to watch Requiem for a Dream, but I think i'm going to try to avoid it. I'm bringing my collection which includes hits like Alfie, Talented Mr. Ripley, early seasons of Seinfeld, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Fight Club.

Paz,
Jen

PS: "You're the most beautiful girl on the street, depending on the street." Watch the clip, and love Flight of the Conchords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDTSQtK20c

2 comments:

lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lauren said...

don't hate on Requiem... you haven't even seen it goofus!