And 'drama' doesn't even begin to do the 24-year-old's life justice. Just last week, for instance, in a span of no more than 24 hours - count it, twenty-four hours - Amy Winehouse: (1) was voted one of the UK's top heroine's by youngsters (along with other tragic UK women like Princess Diana), (2) was offered, with her incarcerated husband, a reveal-all book deal by Penguin Publishing, (3) was listed in The Times young millionaires list, as she's worth approx £10 million ($20 million) these days, (4) is nominated for three Ivor Novello songwriting awards - two of which, she's nominated against herself (a Novello first) in the same category of 'best song,' (5) has a wild night out in Camden, where she drunkenly head-buts a man who reportedly was trying to hail her a cab, runs 50 yards down the street, helps herself to some newspapers, smokes and candy from a shop, shortchanges her cabby £20 and arrives home, only to find out she doesn't have her keys. So, naturally, she breaks into her own home by entering through the garage.

Then, in the wake of her rampage, her father calls to have his drug-addicted (again, 24-year-old) daughter sectioned to receive medical and mental help. That Friday, she is arrested on assault charges for her beehive head-butting, held overnight until she's in a condition possible for questioning, and then released after paying a fine Saturday morning. Then, naturally, there's the rumors she's dating one or three men, one of whom is a management assistant, the speculation that she's recording the new Bond theme with Mark Ronson, and the reports that she's working on her next album on Island Records (which will be a doozy, you can imagine). The Glastonbury Music Festival lineup was released yesterday (just six days after the events listed above), and Amy Winehouse is the only artist with an elusive "(TBC)" after her listing. Yeah, no shit.
Today, the rumor mill indicates she's considering starting her own label after she releases her next album with Island, which will actually be the end of her current contract. And supposedly, she's slated for a U.S. tour this summer. Meanwhile still, her 27-year-old husband's court date has been set for sometime in mid-June (he's behind bars on charges of perverting justice in an assault case that happened at the Macbeth pub around the corner from my old flat in Hoxton), and allegedly after Amy told Blake she wants to divorce him and start a new life with lover Alex Haines (the management assistant), Blake is said to have told friends he wanted £3 million from her in a divorce settlement. Nevermind that her hubby has been selling promotional AND personal photos of Winehouse IN PRISON in exchange for some, oh right, heroin - which, at one point, he almost OD'd on behind bars.
This drama. One week. Talk about living in the fast lane. Where on earth does Amy Winehouse find time to reap so much havoc?
Do you know what I did this week, in my seven days? I wrote a few cover letters. I ran errands like taking my cat to the vet, and helping my Mom get her car inspected before she leaves town. I set up the wifi in my parent's house so I could access Internet from my room. I watched three or four movies. And I managed to stay out of jail, rehab AND the papers. Of course, with all these projects on my hands, I didn't have time to dust all the Grammys lined across my shelf. Wait.
That's right, Amy Winehouse is one of the most talented vocalists and songwriters of this this generation - my generation. One year older than me, Amy Winehouse is worth $20 million, has picked up five Grammys, and has garnered global media attention for her talent as well as her issues. You just can't take your eyes off her. And if she makes it to 30 - or Glastonbury in June, for that matter, it'll be quite a personal victory for the "rockstar-slash-trainwreck." And I'll admit, I'm pulling for her too - just like the UK youngsters under 25, waiting for the soulful heroine to actually kick the heroin, et al.
Sigh. So I'll keep reading. You've got to see how this one ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment