I've mentioned here before my music snobbery, and being home the last six days has allowed me the chance to have all my music in one place again. I've picked up a few albums, read the spring album preview in my last issue of Rolling Stone, and I finally had both external hard drives in one place to have full connectivity. Perhaps most importantly, I have my stereo setup again for the first time in eight months. Now I just need the house to myself so that I can blast these tunes at full volume. So here is the latest. This is what you need to know; this is what you should be paying attention to.
1. First, foremost, you must buy this album: "Consolers of the Lonely" by The Raconteurs. Hi, my name is Jen Vest, and I think I might be in love with Jack White.
Even if you hate the rest of the album, which you won't, the title track here will blow your mind. It is is Jack White at his finest; it is his sound of the White Stripes mixed with a mean blues rock, and drums excel here where others criticize Meg. In this track, the driving guitar and lyrics go hand in hand. Other noteworthy songs on this album include "Carolina Drama," a bluesy folk story that Jack rips wide open, and "Salute Your Solution," which is solid rock energy with a gritty bass line. And if you love these, check out "Blue Veins" from their first album, Broken Boy Soldiers. [Link to "Consolers of the Lonely" performed live this past weekend at Coachella.]
2. "Rockferry" by Duffy
I felt like such a freakin' hippy a few weeks ago when, in a card shop in London (no, literally), I actually asked the cashier who they had playing. It sounded like Sia meets Amy Winehouse, meets Corrinne Bailey Rae, and the third track, "Serious," even had hints of Norah Jones. Duffy is a rising British singer-songwriter you'll be hearing more of soon. Her hit track in the UK is "Mercy," which, in my opinion, does the album the least justice. Favorite tracks of mine include "Warwick Avenue," "I'm Scared," "Steppingstone," and "Rockferry." She's got the same retro throwback that has made artists like Amy Winehouse a star. From what I can tell, her promotion sucks (videos, myspace), and she hasn't yet schedule a US tour, but in due time: the album comes out May 13 in the States. [Live TV performance of "Stepping Stone."]
3. "The Odd Couple" by Gnarls Barkley
I've never been a huge Gnarls Barkley fan, but they've certainly had a few hits. "Going on," the third track on the album, is pretty fantastic. It's got the same electric beat as songs like "Crazy," but its a bit more mellow. Definitely a great summer song, and fantastic in the car with the windows down. The first track, "Charity Case," sounds a bit more like the Black Eyed Peas than I've ever heard Gnarls Barkley sound, but I like it. "Surprise" is decent, too.
4. The long-awaited sophomore album from Panic (no exclamation point) at the Disco, "Pretty. Odd."
Now here's an interesting album. Listen to it straight through from 1 to 15 and you'll cross at least 10 genres, but all of them through the identifiable Panic filter lens. "We're So Starving," the first track, leads into their single, "Nine in the Afternoon," and sets the tone of the album: Oh, how it's been so long / we're so sorry we've been gone / we've been busy writing songs for / YOU! ... You don't have to worry cause we're still the same band. It's rockin, it's playful, it's Panic doing their thing. It kills me that these guys are barely 21, if even. The lyrics throughout the album, like the first one, are clever and sophisticated. The songs are catchy, and they'll put on a great live show. Favorite tracks: "She's a Handsome Woman," "That Green Gentleman," "When the Day met the Night," and "Pas de Cheval."
Finally, some single tracks (new and old) worth mentioning for replay in rotation:
1. Muse, "Supermassive Black Hole" (This came up on Kevin's shuffle during Marathon Monday and I had that, "oh yeah!" moment - haven't listened to Muse since November, and it's good to hear this song again.)
2. Belle & Sebastian, "Me and the Major" (I never really understood B&S; like more sophisticated Shins, but I never really got into them either. Like this track though. Also, "My Wandering Days Are Over" is alright.)
3. The Colour, "Save Yourself" (more driving rock, imagine the Happy Mondays meet The Darkness.)
4. I suppose it's worth mentioning Madonna because her new album is coming out. Frankly, I've never been a fan. "4 minutes" will be all over the radio this summer; its the one featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland. At least she knows how to sell an album.
5. Melody Gardot, "Worrisome Heart" was the iTunes free single of the week last time around, and this is some serious lounge jazz. Grab your whiskey and cigarettes, and dim the lights to 30.
And speaking of music (no, really?), I bought the "Lord Don't Stop Me Now" Oasis DVD this week. Watched the Disc 1 behind the scenes of their worldwide tour, and am looking forward to the Disc 2 Manchester City Arena 16-track performance. What a cocky band, I love it. They just don't give a shit. About anything. "He's my brother. I don't have to tell him I like him. He knows I love him, and thats just the way it is." Noel and Liam Gallagher rarely even appear in the frame together unless they're on stage throughout the entire DVD.
I've also acquired Sia's first album, called "Colour the Small One," and I haven't made a call on it yet. It's definitely not as good as "Some People Have Real Problems," but there are some good numbers on there, particularly "Sunday."
And for goodness sake, it's been five months. If you haven't bought Radiohead "In Rainbows" yet, then get on it. Its $9.99 at Best Buy. Like a friend told me when it first came out: "You listen to it five times... then you see Jesus." And he's basically right. "15 Step" and "Reckoner" will change your life.
29 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you were living in the UK for how long and only NOW discovered Duffy? I enjoyed the melody gardot free single too. haha.
Actually, I'd heard "Mercy" on the radio for months, but I wasn't at all taken with it, so I never found out who sang it. When I heard Rockferry, Warwick Avenue and Serious (the first three album tracks), though, I was sold.
Post a Comment