3 February 2008

Such a strange education

Pull me out of the ocean, Take me up in your arms again
Just the way with the love you send, Such a strange education



There’s something very strange about ‘time’ in London. September seems like an eternity ago, and yet my time here has flown by. But more than that, I find myself swinging through these patterns of back-and-forths with such frequency – how can I explain it?


Remember when news seemed to move slowly? There was one major story that journalism turned its attention to for, say, a week. Everyone reported the same recycled facts, and new developments emerged over a matter of days, not minutes. It’s probably a really poor example, but then take a look at drama headline celebrities like Amy Winehouse or, even more so recently, Britney Spears (ugh). These people are splashed across the headlines every single day with major turns in their lives – arrest, rehab, court dates, partying, new hairdos, out of rehab, more alcohol and drugs. These stars are living very, very quickly. One day, they’re turning a new leaf, and the next day videos emerge of them smoking crack cocaine.

Well, I’m not smoking crack cocaine, but I think new leaves are turned over daily. I’d say I’ve always been a pretty decisive person, and not usually prone to the bipolar attitudes or mood swings some people experience. But recently, there are days I feel planted in London, and I’m ready to settle in for the long haul and the next day, I’m hoping my work permit gets lost in the post. So many “big” things are happening to me with such frequency that it changes my feelings toward my own situation. I feel like this much “stuff” shouldn’t happen to a normal person in a given week. Extraordinary weeks, maybe, but then not so many in a row.

A bunch of us went out to dinner last night at a great veggie place in Shepard’s Bush. Lauren and I were reminiscing about the house party I wrote about. “That was last weekend?!” If you’d asked me, I would have said it was three weeks ago. Hadn’t I had so many successful days, meetings, parties and weekends since then?

Anyway, it’s jumbled, I know, but this all comes back to my attitude about staying or going. In the last three weeks, I’ve started to create some roots here. I’ve met tons of people, have been going out and having a really, really fantastic time with fantastic people. And while the people I’ve met are mostly Americans on BUNAC, I get a chance to meet lots of interesting people through them. I’ve fallen in love with London again, but this time it’s a local’s London, not a tourist London. I love the bus and think the tube is ‘shiite’. I avoid Leicester Square at all costs, and I pick up the daily commuter papers. On average, I’m hitting the gym five times a week and the pub four times a week, making friends and talking to strangers. All in all, I’m having a great time – I’m in my favorite city, and I have a social life, and a job I don’t hate.

And yet, at least in this particular moment, I’d be pretty excited for life on either side of the work permit - I’ll be equally happy to move back to the States permanently in March. Part of me thinks: I’ll be back in the States in November anyway, so why wait? If that’s the next step, I’m ready to find an apartment, a job and reunite with my cat. I’ll be close to my friends and family, and on to the next adventure. The other part of me thinks: you’re going to have the summer in your favorite city and a fair number of vacation days to travel Europe. You’ve got RADIOHEAD tickets, for goodness sake. You’ll have a new flat then, tons of visitors and, possibly, even friends from home as flatmates. And, yes, your BUNAC friends will leave before you, but that’s happened once before already, and it’s turned out okay.

And really, when it comes down to it, the next little phase in my life is largely out of my hands since I’ve already agreed to stay: the next bit will be determined by the UK and US governments, collaboratively. So at this point, I’m just waiting. My thoughts on it vary, but I’m along for the ride. Wasn’t it just last summer that I was wishing that the next phase would be decided for me so I didn’t have to look back? How the grass is always greener.

MEANWHILE, and I’ll keep this bit short because I shouldn’t make judgment on it quite yet, I moved into the BUNAC hostel yesterday. It’ll be four-week accommodation. I moved out of my double room in Hoxton into a room the same size, which I share with three other people. The amazing part is its location – this morning, it took me 10 minutes to walk to my gym, and tomorrow it shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to walk to work. Last night, it only took me one bus to get home. There’s a Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Marks & Spencer within 5 minute walking distance of my street. I’m right near Busaba Eathai, a really nice Thai restaurant, which you can take me out to if/when you come visit. The down side is feeling like I’m living in Warren Towers. The down side is having a top bunk, and being harassed for owning belongings. Like, you know, clothes. Or a hamper. Or two giant shopping bags of shoes. I get it, I have a lot of stuff. But, then again, I’m not a traveler here - I live here - so lay off. Everyone seems cool so far, but I will say some are um… right, SMARTER… than others. I won’t name names or room numbers (mine). But I will ask that you watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww and you should get a pretty good idea.

It’s off to get ready to hit the pub. It’s Superbowl Sunday, as I’m sure you’re aware (hell, you’re probably either already drunk or nursing a hangover) and we’re going to a place in Chelsea, if folks coordinate.

Last thing. These are the songs you should be listening to because it’s probably better than the crap you have on right now:

1) Strange Education, by The Cinematics – nice rock beat, anthematic sound
2) Sleep, by the Dandy Warhols – mellow, chill out, trippy song
3) Little of your Time, by Maroon 5 – fantastic pop tune, and will get stuck in your head. Permanently. Have been loving this song for about two weeks. Great summer track, I’d imagine, and a good one to dance around secretly/outloud in your room.
4) Kinky Afro, by the Happy Mondays – if you wanna be a cool kid in London…
5) The Hardest Button to Button, by The White Stripes – because you should always have a new favorite White Stripes song. And they should never ‘not’ be on your playlist.

Jen

No comments: