8 December 2008

Been missin the motherland

Back in September, a friend shared with me a story from Boston.com about this aerial photographer, Jason Hawkes, who had these stunning photos of London. Instantly, I knew I wanted one of these WALL-SIZED in my life forever, no matter my house. I emailed Jason to inquire about purchasing prints, and to my surprise he promptly replied - said he wasn't setup for online purchases yet, but that he could sell me a hi-res file and I could get it printed. Which would actually be perfect, cause I could get the size and framing I had in mind. Stellar.

At the time, I marked the article, and his email, 'wishlist' in my gmail labels and archived it. Fast forward to December 4 (four days ago), when to my (continued) surprise, he emailed me again - said there were a couple of prints available for purchase
via this link. I spent hours going through his entire collection yesterday and screenshot my favorites. I narrowed it down to about 30 from his collection of 2250, and then to 10, and then to 4.

I narrowed it down to two - a night shot and a day shot. If I were to get just one, I couldn't decide between either. The night shot has been almost everyone's favorite of the folks I've shown. The day one, though, is not only stunning but encapsulates a certain feeling I can't describe for my favorite city.










Then, I found one of South Kensington - the Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park and, of course, Queens Gate Road, where I first lived. Then I found a series of great river shots. So now I've decided I want three. This is what I'd get, and this is how I'd arrange them.



But I'd still really want the day shot.

Jason Hawkes, will you cut me a deal?

PS: These crap little blog photos here don't begin to do them justice - click on the picture and it will open up at fuller size.

No comments: