27 December 2008

HEY COWW-WWWW!!


I drove from Austin to Shiner, TX yesterday to meet a friend and take the Shiner Brewery tour. Ironically, the last time I saw said friend we went to the Harpoon Brewery and then the Radiohead show in Boston. Anyway, turns out the brewery was closed (oops, holidays) but we met some fine Shiners (Shinerians?) at Howards, the gas station/beer garden with $1.75 Shiner beers on tap. And wouldn't you know it, but the lady who gives the tours was hanging out at Howards, so we got our piece of history anyway.

However, I actually started this entry with the intention to tell you about a little game called "Hey Cow." This game comes to me from some Wisconsin/Minnesota-born friends, and until yesterday I'd never played.

The premise of Hey Cow is very basic. As you're driving down the road, if you're on the left side of the car you yell at the cows on the left. The right-side passengers do the same for their side. You get one point for each cow you get to look after you yell, "HEEYYYY COWWW-WWWW!!!" ('hey you guys' style) to the herd.

So yesterday, I was by myself in the car going 70mph down country roads, with all four windows down and the ipod all the way up, and I was having SO much fun that as I passed the fields I belted out, on impulse, at the cows. I immediately started laughing so hard, I wasn't even able to look back to see if any turned my way.

I dont know if I was more excited to be driving that fast or having the stereo that loud, but having my first hey cow was really worth the trip. Also, it probably didn't hurt that the scene above is in direct comparison to driving (passenger-style) in NYC and seeing this:



No comments: